With the growing trend of healthy eating, it’s just natural that people are looking for alternative and healthy ways to prepare their food. Whether we admit it or not, we are just not yet ready to completely turn our back from our favorite foods and frying is one of the most satisfying and delicious ways to prepare them. Even now, I just can’t imagine myself without my favorite fried food.
I’ve actively looked for better and healthier ways of cooking food not only for myself but for my family as well. It was a personal quest for me as I love preparing food we (my kids, husband, relatives and friends) can enjoy together.
Things changed when I was given an air fryer as a gift and it became the go-to appliance in my kitchen and when it broke down I knew that I had to find a replacement ASAP. Not only was it versatile (aside from frying, it can also grill, roast and bake), it was simple and convenient to use too.
I related my experience here but needless to say, it was frustrating, to say the least. I don’t want you to go through what I did so I decided to create an Air Fryer Review of popular models and hopefully, you’ll find the information to find the best fryer for your situation.
Compare Air Fryers at a Glance
|Model||Capacity||Controls||Accessories Included||My Rating|
|Air Fryer 3.2L by Cozyna||3.2 liters|
|4.6 stars||Read Review|
|Black & Decker HF110SBD||2 liters|
|4.5 stars||Read Review|
|GoWise USA GW22621||3.7 quarts|
|4.3 stars||Read Review|
|NuWave 33201 Deluxe Brio||3.5 quarts|
|4.3 stars||Read Review|
|Philips XL HD9240/94||2.65 lbs.|
|4.2 stars||Read Review|
|Secura 1500 Watt Extra Large||4 liters|
|3.9 stars||Read Review|
|Rosewill RHAF-16003||5.8 quarts|
|4.3 stars||Read Review|
Below I share with you what to look for in a unit and the best air fryers I found. You can use these points when selecting which one is best for you.
How to Choose the Best Air Fryer
Here is a breakdown of the most important things for you to consider when buying an air fryer.
The first thing you need to know is the capacity of the appliance. That’s how much food it can cook at any given time.
Most air fryers state their capacity either in liters or quarts. While a few use pounds as their measurement. Sounds great but what does this really mean? You’re not going to be cooking a liquid chicken, are you? I’ve written a separate article to help you get a better understanding what those measurements mean.
In simple terms, the capacity you want or need would depend on what and for whom you’ll be cooking for. You won’t need a 5.3-quart capacity fryer if you will be cooking for yourself most of the time. On the flip side, a 2-liter capacity unit won’t be enough for a family of 4.
Also, keep in mind that you’ll not be able to use all of the capacity to put in your food. Since the machine cooks by circulating hot air around the food there needs to some space for the air to move around. How much space is needed would depend on the shape of the food. A few recipes (and a good practice) advice to turn or flip the food at the half way point of cooking to make sure it cooks all around.
Controls come in either analog (knobs or dials) or digital. I don’t have any preference for either and you can choose which type you prefer.
Analog controls are much simpler to operate. You’ll usually just have two knobs, one for the timer and one for the temperature. Just set both to the type of food you’re cooking and you’re good to go. One downside of this is that some models have small lettering or writings and this could cause some issues to people with weak eyesight.
Digital controls have the same settings you can set but there could be some extras like presets. They also look better and easier to read and set.
Taste is subjective and you’ll always find someone not liking air fried food. But based on my research, the majority of users liked the food that came out of their appliance and cannot find any significant difference from actual deep fried food. In a few case, some even say the food is better. Aside from fried foods, air fryers are also versatile and can produce appetizing grilled, baked, steam and roasted dishes.
Like I said earlier, I’m not about ready to give up on my fried foods. I do however want myself and my family to eat healthier and using an air fryer is the best option I found so far. If you’re asking yourself if air fried food is really healthier, this may answer your question.
Other Things to Consider
Aside from the above, there are other things you can look at when deciding which air fryer to buy. They are;
- Versatility – All air fryers come out of the box ready to air fry food. They can also grill, bake, and roast. You may need some extras to do these as some do not come with accessories. You will have to get them separately if you find the need. There are also plenty of air fryer recipes, free and paid, available online. You can also experiment with dishes to make your own style.
- Size – If space is an issue, take a second look at the size of the unit. Bigger capacity ones are naturally bulkier and if you intend to use them regularly, putting them away and setting them up may become a chore. These appliances do not as a whole give off heat like a conventional oven so would fit in hotter climates.
- Design/Aesthetics – All in all, most units have a nice look and will fit in well in any kitchen, most however come in black. There are models that give you a color choice to match your taste or need. One downside of this is that most non-black colors have a higher price.
- Motor Size – This may not be an issue for some but a larger motor naturally uses more electricity. A larger motor allows the appliance to cook larger amounts of food but if you used it regularly you may need to keep an eye on your electric bill.
RECOMMENDED AIR FRYERS
It has a 2.65 lb. capacity basket that can prepare food for up to 4 people. With this capacity, you can easily prepare a medium chicken, 10-12 chicken wings, one bag of French fries or a 500 gram steak.
This is also the only air fryer endorsed by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay and he has prepared a recipe book that comes with the appliance.
It is produced by Phillips and they are constantly finding ways to make our cooking experience better. They have a unique Rapid Air Technology that circulates hot air to cook the food faster with perfect results.
There is also a free app available from the Google play store and Apple app store. You can download it to your smart phone or tablet and have access to over 150 recipes, support, FAQ, etc.
This particular model is just one from a few air fryer lines from Philips and you can check out their other models here.
- Uses a unique Rapid Air Technology
- Endorsed by Gordon Ramsay (Michelin star winning chef)
- Have recipes from Gordon Ramsay
- 2.65 lbs. cooking tray capacity good for 4 people
- Dimensions: 16.6×12.4×11.9 in
- Weight: 19 lbs
- Two color choices: black or white (white costs more)
- Has integrated cord storage for the 0.8 meter power cord
This kitchen appliance would be a nice addition to any kitchen and will produce delicious food consistently.
There are two basket capacities to choose from (3.7 quarts or 5.8 quarts) so you can choose which one will suit you.
The digital control is also a plus and the unit looks good on any counter. If black is not your color, there are several others to choose from.
Controls: Touch screen
Temp range from 175 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3.7 quarts capacity
- Motor: 1400 watts
- Can choose from 3 colors (black, chili red, plum)
- Dimension: 8.5x9x12 in
- Weight: 12 lbs
- 5.8 quarts capacity
- Motor: 1800 watts
- Comes in 3 color choices (black, chili red, white)
- Dimensions: 12×14.5×13.5 in
- Weight: 14 lbs.
BEST FOR SINGLE PERSON USE
This air fryer only has a 2-liter capacity basket and one of the smallest one I’ve reviewed. The capacity, however, is not an issue in cooking healthy and delicious food. Food is cooked fast with its Dual Convection Fans that circulates the super-heated air around the food for an even cooking. And because of its smaller capacity, its 1200 watt motor is good enough and uses less electricity.
It is also made by an established company that has a long history of manufacturing quality tools and now, appliances.
This model would be a perfect fit for someone living alone and have no time cooking more complex or time-consuming meals. It would also be a great gift to your son or daughter who is away at college. You’ll be able to at least give them the option to cook healthy food without much fuss. Cleaning is also a breeze, and will not take much of their time away from their other activities.
- Comes with a basket separator to allow 2 dishes to be cooked at the same time
- Choice of 2 colors (black/stainless steel or white/stainless steel)
- Has only a 1200 watt motor (saves on electricity)
- Has a cool touch handle to avoid small burns
- Perfect small kitchens or apartments
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Uses 2 knobs to set temperature and cooking time
- Dimension: 12.5×12.5×13.9 in
- Weight: 12.6 lbs
BEST AIR FRYER FROM A SMALL COMPANY
You might be saying to yourself how this would be a criteria to be included in the recommended models. And you could be right. You can call me patriotic or something else but I like how this small company from Middle America has been able to hang with the big boys.
Their air fryer has top marks from users (7 out of 10 giving the highest score) and produces good tasting and at the same time healthy food.
It is also fairly priced for what you will be getting.
- Motor: 1500 watts
- Dimension: 15.5×13.2×12.9 in
- Weight: 12.9 pounds
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Color: Black
- Dishwasher safe
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY
It got top marks from users for taste and has adequate capacity for 3-4 people at one cooking. My research also did not produce any deal breaking disadvantage aside from being only available in one color, black. That said, all other air fryer models are primarily available in black with few having other color choices. This is a minor thing and the Rosewill delivers at what counts most, producing good tasting and healthy food.
The 5.8 quarts capacity cooking basket has a non-stick Silicone resin coating that makes it fast and easy to clean. If you feel the size is too big for your needs, there are also 2 models with a 3.3 quarts basket you can choose from. Their main difference in their controls, one is analog and the other is digital.
It also is fairly priced and offers good value for your money.
- Motor: 1700 watts
- Dimension: 15×14.41×12.6 in
- Weighs in at 12 lbs
- Voltage: 120 watts / 60 Hz
- Weight: 19.84 lbs.
- Available in black color only
- unit feet has a nonslip coating for stability
- Handle lock system for security
- 170 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit temperature setting
- Timer length of 30 minutes
If you are trying to cut out oil from your food or just want to eat healthier, an air fryer is for you. There are few things better than knowing that you are serving food that is good for your love ones and at the same time see them enjoying it. Air frying is also suited for people with medical conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.
These appliances are easy to use, produce delicious food and reasonably priced. Most models can be bought for less than $100 and at this price point, they are affordable to most people.
If you haven’t used one before there is a little learning curve but a little trial and error will have you on your way in no time. There are also plenty of recipes and videos available online you can reference from.
Find more in-depth Air Fryer Reviews here.